Sunday 18 June 2023

56.06-No googly eyes!

 Previously on the Smole,


Raymond: Hello, is it me you're looking for?"

~~~


Jenny: "No, he just sang my song."

~~~


Jenny: "Just follow my lead."

~~~


Gordon: "She only got two turns."

~~~


Jesse: "Here goes nothing."

~~~


Lola: "You didn't actually sing that song, did you? Shame on you."

~~~


Sonya: "Why do you keep dissing my brother?"
Una: "Because...because he sucks, that's why! I don't want to associate myself with an unethical man like him."

~~~


Una: "I don't actually hate Jesse. I just want him to hate me because...I like him. But I've been in too many relationships to know that it won't work out, especially with a nomad like him."

~~~



Gordon: "I'm pretty sure it's a man. Call it a hunch."

~~~


Olli: "Why are you on the Smole?"
Sarah: "To make friends...and, I'm telling you this only because I know you don't talk to anyone, but...also to maybe find love?"

~~~



"Una Phobe. Unfortunately, you are the next to be executed. Please pack your bags and leave."



The contestants first had to create a chain of songs, to which they earned 41/200 points. Jesse and Jenny could later earn 50 bonus points by participating in The Voice and turning 6 chairs in total. Unfortunately, that went badly, so the pot is only at 121/300 points. The contestants then had to decide their groupings for the next mission before they even took part in the execution ceremony and unfortunately for Una, it was in vain as she was the second executed. Will Gordon and Olli be at a disadvantage in the coming mission? Who will get the first exemptions of the season? Who is the Mole?

*
*
*


Jesse: "It's a shame Una left. Sis and I aren't the best dressers so I thought maybe we could ask her for help on fashion. She's the best dressed out of all of us. At least she didn't go home thinking I hated her. But I can't help wondering if my last words to her were a little harsh...not that it matters anyway. She's gone now and we can only move forward. I was born to deal with this."

*
*
*


Gordon: "Fuck. The only eligible woman this season is gone. And she's in my group too. I hope that doesn't put us at a disadvantage because Olli and I suuuck at music. Looks like we'll just have to hustle to make it and snag that exemption."


*
*
*


"There are 6 songs in the backyard. I first need one representative from each group to choose a song."


Gordon: "I'll go, I run faster than you."
Jesse: "You go sis. Is that ok with you?"
Jenny: "Fine by me."
Raymond: "Should I go?"
Mason: "Just go!"
Raymond: "But I'm not a fast runner."
Sarah: "I'll go. I'm closer."


Sonya: "They're blank."
Gordon: "We have to pick one at random."


"You may flip open the charts."
Sonya: "Kiss Me Slowly by Parachute."
Gordon: "I got Country Girl (Shake It For Me) by Luke Bryan."
Sarah: "I've Got Friends by Manchester Orchestra."


"The other songs are now being flipped open, which you can also see on the screen. Each group has to choose one more song. It's first come first serve so be quick."


Jenny: "Take We Are Young. I have an idea."


Gordon: "Bang Bang by Fiona Apple sounds interesting."
Sarah: "Which should I take? Do either of you have any idea?"


Raymond: "Maybe just take the first song you see."
Sarah: "Cooler Than Me. Are you fine with that?"
Raymond: "I suppose so."
Mason: "If Raymond says it's fine then I'm agreeable."


MTV was one of the most popular channels in the early 2000, showcasing a wide array of reality shows. Perhaps more notably, it was also known for music videos. The contestants' next mission is to try and recreate a music video. An unknown judge will score them. 10 points are awarded for incorporating both songs in the video, 20 points are for use of cast and 20 points are for the overall presentation and style. Each video can earn 50 points in total, up to a maximum of 150 points for the mission. Of course, that's not the only thing on their minds. The highest scoring group can earn themselves an exemption.

*
*
*


Olli: "We had the rest of the day to conceptualise and plan where and how to film, then the next day to actually do it."

*
*
*


Jesse: "We Are Young is a happy party song. We need to hit the bar."
Jenny: "We can spin it. The theme we can have is tribute. We Are Young will be a tribute to death while Kiss Me Slowly is a tribute to two friends."
Sonya: "I don't know how your mind works but I like it."


Gordon: "Then, we flash our guns."
Olli: "Where will we get guns?"
Gordon: "I meant our biceps. You're not afraid of partial nudity are you? Because that's beta male behaviour."
Olli: "Nudity is a natural part of us. Why would I be afraid?"


Raymond: "Gordon and Olli are here too."
Gordon: "Scram. We're using the gym."


Raymond: "We need to find a different filming location."
Mason: "They're not going to hog the whole gym for the whole day."
Sarah: "Did they get a permit? If not then we have every right to use it."
Mason: "Exactly. Use your brain Raymond."
Raymond: "Sorry."


Jenny: "I need the two of you to look like you're in love."
Jesse: "But we're siblings! It feels so gross."
Jenny: "Then treat it like sibling love."

*
*
*


Mason: "The concept that I had for this music video was about a 40-year-old man who is trying to impress a lady at the gym but there's a guy who's cooler. That's supposed to be Raymond but he kept mucking up and ruining the shots."

*
*
*


Raymond: "Hiyaa!"


Mason: "Cut! Raymond, what the hell is that?"


Mason: "You're 1/4 Vietnamese! How can you not know Sim-fu?"
Raymond: "Technically Sim-fu is Chinese martial arts."
Mason: "Then act like you know what you're doing!"


Mason: "My grandmother can fight better than you."
Raymond: "I never fought in my life. I hate violence as an option."
Mason: "That's not the point! What's the point of recruiting you to this team if you can't do something this simple?"


Sarah: "Maybe take it easy, Mason."
Mason: "An exemption is at stake here and Raymond can't get his act together."

*
*
*


Sonya: "Come here and let your big sis give you a big ole kiss and hug!"
Jesse: "Ew get away from me! Sorry but I don't think this is gonna work out pal."


Jenny: "Fine. I'll change it."

*
*
*


Jenny: "I had a very strong concept. We Are Young was a song that I heard when I was still new to the industry. It made me feel sadness. As for Kiss Me Slowly, it was inspired by a friend of mine. I hoped that I could use this video to encourage them to put their flaws past them and bravely pursue love. But Jesse and Sonya just couldn't get over the awkwardness of pretending to be in love and ruined my artistic vision, forcing me to rework my idea and waste valuable time. If this costs us, I would be very upset...maybe that is a good thing after all."

*
*
*


Gordon: "Is he gone?"
Olli: "Yes."
Gordon: "Good. Now we can borrow his car and look cool unless we can find a better car. Come on boy, bring that swagger!"


*
*
*


Raymond: "Grr. Is this angry enough? Can they see my eyes? Maybe we can add some googly eyes post-production."
Sarah: "What? No."

*
*
*


Gordon: "Just copy what I do, got it?"
Olli: "Yes."
Gordon: "We're gonna be the dudes all the ladies wanna be with and all the men wanna be."

*
*
*


Jenny: "Tell me more about your lives. Let's make the story about you."
Sonya: "I don't want to. It's too personal."
Jesse: "I actually think it's a good idea. We can show the world that we made it through tough times. Maybe this will inspire others like us."


Sonya: "No means no."
Jenny: "Why not?"


Sonya: "Because...because I don't want you to feel sad for us."
Jenny: "I've organised so many funerals I literally cannot feel sad any more."
Jesse: "That's sad."
Jenny: "It is. If only I can feel it."


Jesse: "We can keep it vague, Sonya."
Sonya: "If that's what you want...okay."
Jesse: "Don't do it for me. I want you to be fully onboard with this."
Sonya: "I am. Really."


Jenny: "Good. Now I want you to sit on this end table and look troubled. Sonya, I want you to look like you have something important to tell Jesse. Jesse, you should look like you heard the worst news of your life."


Jenny: "Excellent."

*
*
*


Olli: "How are we going to get up there?"
Gordon: "We climb. You're the gymnast. You shoukd be able to do it."
Olli: "I'm more worried about you. You struggled to do the flips when we were practising."
Gordon: "I got it nailed down enough to look good. That's what matters. Work smart, not hard."

*
*
*


Sonya: "It's starting to rain."
Jenny: "Even the skies are sending us a sign. We are going to ace this assignment."
Jesse: "Out in the cold and rain...just like old times, eh sis?"


Jesse: "We couldn't have made it without you."
Sonya: "And I couldn't have made it without you."
Jesse: "Not Ewan?"
Sonya: "And Ewan."


Jesse: "Are you worried about him? He's going to do fine. He's going to college! He's growing up to be a fine Maddox man."
Sonya: "The true Maddox man."
Jesse: "What was that?"
Sonya: "Nothing. I just meant that he takes after Dad most. Let's continue. What's our next scene, director?"

*
*
*


Gordon: "Ugh, male booty just doesn't cut it. Neither of us will look convincing if we dressed like women either."


Gordon: "Why did Una have to be executed?"

*
*
*


Raymond: "Ouch! This is why I don't like violence. Why can't we just add googly eyes instead?"


Mason: "Why is it so hard for you to pretend to fight? You're the weakest excuse of a man I've met!"
Sarah: "Sorry I can't stop laughing."


Mason: "THIS IS NOT FUNNY!"
Sarah: "Okay, relax. Deep breaths."

*
*
*


Gordon: "Hey there. We're filming a music video. Want in? We just need you to shake your booty."
Anissa: "No."
Gordon: "You sure? I could give you 200 Simoleons."
Anissa: "...You can film me bartending but not my butt."
Gordon: "Sure thing. 'Cause I already have."

*
*
*


Sarah: "I think I need more scenes Mason. 20 points are for the effective use of cast."
Mason: "We can film some reaction shots."

*
*
*


Gordon: "You've got moves."
Olli: "If there are two things Finnish Sims love, it's drinking and partying."
Gordon: "Now you're speaking my language. Who needs women? We're gonna turn this into a dude party!"

*
*
*

After a busy 1.5 days of filming, the contestants get to edit their videos (with assistance from crew members).



Sarah: "We don't have enough shots to fill the music video."
Mason: "Let's add some stills. Maybe we can loop some of the shots and add effects."
Raymond: "We can add googly eyes!"
Sarah: "No googly eyes!"


Jenny: "Let's add some transitions here. It feels abrupt. Here too."
Jesse: "Don't you think it's too many transitions?"
Jenny: "I take pride in my work."


Gordon: "This is sick! Let's repeat that part in slo-mo."

*
*
*


"Good morning contestants. You spent the last one and a half day creating a music video from conceptualisation to post-production. We have sent your hard work to an anonymous judge who has graded it. Now it's time for all of you to enjoy the fruits of your labour."

The first music video is by Jenny, Jesse and Sonya.

The second music video is by Gordon and Olli.

The last music video is by Mason, Sarah and Raymond.



Mason: "I don't like our chances. The other videos look good."
Raymond: "Let's stay positive."
Sarah: "The first group even stayed up late at night to film."


"For Group 1, the judge enjoyed the thematic coherence in your video. She particularly enjoyed the fresh take on giving We Are Young a sad spin and the subversion involved in Kiss Me Slowly. However, she felt that the transition between the two songs could be smoother and also felt confused by the blonde woman's role and relationship to the other two characters in the story. She did a poor job acting sad and was pretty much absent in the second half of the video. Overall, you scored 10/10 for song incorporation, 12/20 for use of cast and 14/20 for overall presentation, bringing your total score to 36/50 points."


"Group 2: The judge acknowledged the challenges in having fewer number in cast and how you tried to overcome it. There was overall a fun vibe to it and definitely a music video she could see being done in real life. However, she faulted you for disregarding one of your core cast members for a bartender who was not a contestant, especially by the second half of the video. You also faced the same problem of transitioning between songs. Overall, you scored 10/10 for song incorporation, 10/20 for use of cast and 17/20 for overall presentation. Your score is 37/50 points."


"Finally, Group 3. The judge applauded your attempt in integrating the two songs as you had the most challenging songs to work with together. She could follow the plotline clearly but was not a fan of the violent messaging behind it. The overall tone also felt contradictory to that of the songs. There could also have been better use of each cast, especially the female member. Overall, you scored 10/10 for song incorporation, 11/20 for use of cast and 10/20 for overall presentation, making your score 31/50 points."


"That means Gordon and Olli, you get an exemption!"
Gordon: "Yeah! Hustle baby!"



Three music videos and 104/150 points later, the pot is now at 225/450 points - exactly 50%. Gordon and Olli will not be executed, so who will?

Next episode...


Jesse: "We did nothing wrong."
Sonya: "You didn't, but I did."


Jesse: "I see her in a different light now."


Raymond: "You probably think I'm weak, don't you?"


Mason: "Maybe you're heartless."
Jenny: "Maybe I am."


"Tonight, as we say goodbye to autumn, we also say goodbye to another contestant. Who will it be?"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment! It may take some time for us to see and respond to the message. Do check back regularly because we try to respond to each and every comment!

We highly encourage you to sign in when commenting as well!