Thursday 12 August 2021

51.05-Did you forget your shirt?

   



Previously on the Smole, the contestants had to answer a series of dichotomous questions based on what they felt the minority answer was. Altogether 53/110 points were earned in that mission, resulting in 63/230 points for the pot. Contestants later learned while taking the quiz that they could save a fellow contestant if they answered a bonus question correctly, which everyone but Molly, Cam and Wendy did. This meant that only Jim, Eric and Preston saw their screens. The three of them were safe, thus nobody was executed. But who was the lowest scorer? Who got lucky?

*
*
*


Jim: "I can't believe I'm saying this but George started the info club at the right timing. There's no way I would have touched so many of the books in the house otherwise. Fortunately for me Myrtle actually chose a book about chemical elements so I could save Wendy. Molly didn't save me but I made it out alive irregardless. I must be doing something right."


Cam: "I have a confession to make. I answered the question wrongly on purpose. I didn't know any of the answers but I didn't actually intend to save Preston. I feel so mean, especially seeing how everybody else tried their best to get the questions correct. I'm sure I wouldn't have done such a thing if I joined 30 years ago."


Molly: "My favourite part of the Smole so far is the fact that we found a bedroom for 5 Sims on the top floor and we managed to reserve it just for us gals. We get to have so much fun without any boys in the way."

*
*
*


Molly: "Do you need help, Cam?"
Cam: "You can just sit and wait."
Molly: "I want to learn how to cook from you."


Cam: "You're such a sweet girl. You remind me of myself when I was younger."
Molly: "What were you like when you were younger?"

Cam: "I grew up in a poor family. My parents couldn't afford to provide for all my siblings and me. So the moment I turned 16 they flew me off to Shanghai when someone came to the village."


Molly: "That must have been scary."
Cam: "It was, initially. But I was also excited. It was so new to me. I was eager to learn about everything."


Molly: "Why did you go to Shanghai anyway?"


Cam: "To be married off."


Molly: "That's horrible. No wonder you don't believe in love."
Cam: "I do, I just think love is too idealistic, especially having lived for so long. And to be honest, it's not that bad. My husband treats me very well. I didn't have to worry about not having enough clothes to wear or having to share the last grains of rice with my younger siblings. And I could send money back to my family every month."


Molly: "Are you happy in your marriage?"
Cam: "I'm content."


Cam: "What about you? You must be happy about your marriage seeing as you married the love of your life."
Molly: "I am."


Cam: "You don't sound happy."
Molly: "I am. It's just that we were hoping for a family. But my husband doesn't want one. He thinks I see him as a baby-making machine."


Cam: "These things take time."


*
*
*


Wendy: "Larry saved you."
Petunia: "I'm thankful for that."


Wendy: "Does that mean your impression of him has changed?"
Petunia: "No."


Wendy: "You still have an issue with him being ugly?"
Petunia: "I never had an issue with him ugly. It's the fact that he's ugly and fit that's a serious problem. Anyway, maybe I didn't need saving in the first place."

*
*
*


George: "We finally get to go out to town. I'm interested to see if the Roaring 20s matches up to what I know. At the very least, the citizens care about hygiene and appreciate our bold, fashion-forward attire, even if we do stick out like a sore thumb."

*
*
*


Main Street Library houses some of the era's best works of literature and is the main location of the next mission. They are to find selected books to earn points, up to a total of 100 points. Six of them will perform various activities to be able to obtain the first sentences of the required books to relay to the other five. They have three hours.


Molly: "Did you forget your shirt?"
Eric: "I must have. Silly me. Oh well."


Eddy: "I've always wanted to drive a vintage car."


Wendy: "They didn't think to install a sun roof?"


Eric and Molly are at Seaside Gym. There, they have to dance in sync for continuous intervals to be able to relay sentences.


Eddy and Preston are Waterfront Pool. They have to collect sentences in the pool, but each of them can only be in the pool for 2 minutes at a time.


Wendy and Larry are at the Boardwalk. They will have to take the rollercoaster and find sentences along the ride.


The other five contestants will be searching the library for the relevant books. Each book found is worth 4 points.


"Your time starts now."
Petunia: "What are we supposed to find?"


Jim: "I thought we were done with books."


George: "There's a door here."


Myrtle: "Are there any markings we should be looking out for?"
Petunia: "I think we'll know when we see it."


Cam: "I found what we have to be looking for!"
Virginia: "Shh! This is a library."
Cam: "Sorry."


Cam: "1 book that mentions a whale and a chicken."


Cam: "3 books with 'brown' on the first page."


Cam: "3 books with pigs."


Cam: "5 books with cigarettes."


Cam: "6 books about time travel."


Cam: "7 books with a multiple of 3 on the first page."

*
*
*


Eddy: "Are you ready?"
Preston: "Ready as I'll ever be."


Eddy: "Then let's go."


10/10 for the pair of synchronised divers.


Eddy: "You go that way. I'll search this area. Remember we only have 2 minutes."

*
*
*


Wendy: "I've never ridden on a rollercoaster before."
Larry: "What? You've been missing out."


Larry: "You're in for a run ride."
Wendy: "Remember what we have to do."


Preston: "Is that Wendy and Larry?"


Larry: "WOO!"


Wendy: "How is your hat not falling off?"
Larry: "ROLLERCOASTER PHYSICS, BRO!"


Larry: "AAAAAAAAHAHAHA!"
Wendy: "Oh keep quiet."
Larry: "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SCREAM ON A ROLLERCOASTER!"


Wendy: "That can't be safe."
Larry: "WHO CARES?"


Larry: "3...2...1..."


Larry: "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"


Wendy: "I think I'm gonna throw up."
Larry: "The track's broken."
Wendy: "What do you mean the track's broken?"


Larry: "AAH!"


Wendy: "AAAHHH!"
Larry: "AAAAAHHHH!"


Wendy: "AAAAHH!"
Larry: "NOW YOU'RE DOING IT RIGHT!"


Larry: "That was awesome."
Wendy: "Wait, we completely forgot to keep a lookout!"


Larry: "Shit. You're right. Let's go again?"
Wendy: "I need a drink first."

*
*
*


🎵🎶🎵


Eric: "Hey Molly, check out my moves."


Molly: "We're supposed to be dancing in sync."


Eric: "Oh all right."


Eric: "But check this out."


Molly: "I gotta admit, you've got moves."


Contessa: "Scandalous! A half naked man in public?"

*
*
*


Myrtle: "I think this one is Moby Dick."
Petunia: "I thought Moby Dick was about a whale? Were there chickens in the story?"
George: "3 books with 'brown' on the first page..."


George: "Hmm, excuse me sir, could I borrow your book for a moment?"


Henry: "Get your own book."
George: "Good sir, we are on a search for the finest literature in Roaring Heights, and--"
Henry: "Oh, you're here to report about our rich literature and history? Why didn't you say so earlier? I recommend this book."


Cam: "I'm not too familiar with popular literature. I didn't have much of an education. But I can count multiples of 3: 3, 6, 9...12..."


Preston: "Time's up and I didn't find anything."
Eddy: "I did."


Eddy: "We need a better plan. We should take turns. That way when one of us must sit through the cooldown period, the other of us can continue."
Preston: "Good idea."


Eddy: "For now, let me unwrap this text and send it to the other group."

*
*
*


George: "A Farewell To Arms has the word 'brown' in it in this phrase: 'the plain mountains were brown and bare'. This has to be one of our books tp check out."


Myrtle: "The phone's vibrating."


Myrtle: "'I go to sleep alone, and wake up alone.' I should tell the others."

*
*
*


Wendy: "Remember what we're here for."
Larry: "Sentences. Got it."


Wendy: "There! There's something on the flag."


Larry: "Shit. Missed it."
Wendy: "There's another one, on the sign...'What's it going to be then, eh?'"
Larry: "Is that a sentence or just the Boardwalk slogan?"

*
*
*


Petunia: "Do I have to search through the entire book just for one word? Where are all the clues?"


Jim: "1984 isn't divisible by 3, is it? 'The clock struck thirteen'...no, definitely not a multiple of 3. It's not this book."

*
*
*



Larry: "I'm too short! Can you reach it?"
Wendy: "I'm trying!"


Larry: "Did you get it?"
Wendy: "No I didn't."
Larry: "We'll try again on the next ride."


*
*
*


Molly: "Come on, we're almost there."


Molly: "No!"
Eric: "Fuck! Sorry Molly."


Molly: "It's okay. Let's just try again. It can't be that hard to dance in sync for 15 minutes, right?"

*
*
*


Wendy: "Can you see what it says?"
Larry: "It's a lot of words...Emma Woodhorse something. Shall we just send that?"
Wendy: "Let's go on another ride to confirm."
Larry: "I don't think I can handle too many rides."

*
*
*


Myrtle: "Another one from Eddy and Preston: 'It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance."


Cam: "Aha! I found the first sentence from Wendy and Larry. The book is A Clockwork Orange. Time to bring it to the counter."

*
*
*


Larry: "Did you get it?"
Wendy: "I got it this time at last."
Larry: "Good. Now grip onto it for your deal life doN'T LET GOOOO!"

*
*
*


Preston: "There it is!"
Eddy: "Quick, grab it and toss it to me."

*
*
*


George: "Disappearances...it should be in the mystery section somewhere."


George: "It's so familiar. Where did I hear about it?"


Myrtle: "George, there you are. I have another clue from Preston and Jeremiah: 'Where's Papa going with that axe'?"
George: "That must be a children's book."
Myrtle: "Are you sure? It has an axe."
George: "I remember. It must be Charlotte's Web."
Myrtle: "I'll go to the children's section and search for it."

*
*
*


Petunia: "After way too long I realised that Myrtle was hogging the phone, so I gathered everyone and suggested we take turns holding the phone. Luckily they agreed quickly."

*
*
*

Myrtle: "Charlotte's Web, found it...did this book even get published in the 1920s?"


Cam: "They were right. It is Moby Dick."


*
*
*


Wendy: "WhaAAAAAHHHHH!"
LARRY: "WHAT WERE YOU TRYING TO SAY?"
Wendy: "DID YOU SEE WHAT WAS AAAAAHHHH!"

*
*
*


Eddy: "There's another one, stuck to the bottom of the pool."


*
*
*


Jim: "The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Caterpillars can be brown."


George: "Jim, I have another clue for you from Wendy and Larry. It reads, 'It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.' That's from 1984."
Jim: "I know it's from 1984. I read the damn book earlier."
George: "Excellent! Can you find it?"
Jim: "Can't you see I'm busy? You go find it!"


George: "Rude."

*
*
*


Eric: "Bok bok bok bok!"


Molly: "Bok bok bok bok!"


Eric: "This is so embarrassing. Why is the chicken dance song in the playlist?"


Molly: "Aah!"


Molly: "Ow..."


Eric: "Molly! Are you okay?"
Molly: "I'm fine, but now we have to restart."


Eric: "No we don't. We've hit 15 minutes! And the sentence is playing now!"


Eric:"'Six months at sea!'"
Molly: "What does that mean?"
Eric: "That's not our problem. Let's pass it on."

*
*
*


Eddy: "I think I found all there is to find."


Preston: "Maybe our job is done here."
Eddy: "No, we shouldn't give up until the last minute. Your turn, Preston."
Preston: "Didn't you say there's nothing left?"
Eddy: "What if we missed one?"

*
*
*


Petunia: "I found The Magic Mountain."


Petunia: "Wait a minute, weren't there more books? Did someone take them away?"

*
*
*


Larry: "I don't think I can ride that coaster another time."
Wendy: "Me too. I've emptied out yesterday's dinner."


Larry: "But you were amazing. For someone who's never taken a rollercoaster, you were able to keep your balance and eyes peeled too. You found so many of the clues."


Larry: "But of course you would. You're so accomplished."
Wendy: "That's what everyone says."


Wendy: "Did you realise that there was a blue track?"
Larry: "Oh yeah. Now that you mention it. Wasn't one of the clues on the blue loop de loop?"
Wendy: "We missed out an entire track."
Larry: "Ugh. Guess I'll be counting on you to find all the clues."

*
*
*


Molly: "You can do it, Eric!"


Molly: "Just stretch! Yeah, like that!"


Molly: "Don't worry about me. I'll just copy you."


Molly: "Put your hands in the air. Now you're getting the hang of it."

*
*
*


George: "Why are you standing here?"
Petunia: "Someone took books while we weren't looking so I have to safeguard them."


George: "What?"


George: "Take the phone. I'm going to recover them."


Petunia: "Oh, another clue from Eric and Molly...this is from The Fault in Our Stars! But I can't leave my post."

*
*
*


Larry: "There's a clue right at the entrance."


Wendy: "Over there!"
Larry: "Where?"


Wendy: "I think that's a clue?"
Larry: "Are you sure?"
Wendy: "And it's gone."


Wendy: "Do you see anything up there?"


Larry: "WOO!"


Larry: "That was short."
Wendy: "Which means we have time to go again and catch those we missed."

*
*
*


Myrtle: "Petunia, I heard about the missing books. Did you find them?"
Petunia: "George is looking."
Myrtle: "Did you check the storage room behind?"
Petunia: "No. You can do it."


Myrtle: "The Mole didn't do a very good job at stashing away the books."


*
*
*


Eric: "I can't do it."


Molly: "Yes you can. Look at yourself. You've got the perfect body."


Eric: "These are designer muscles! They're meant for strength, not for endurance or flexibility."

*
*
*


Jim: "Sister, Sister? Whatever. There isn't enough time left and I don't think we have all the books."

*
*
*


Time is up. 23 books have been brought to the check-out counter. How many of them are correct?


"You needed to find one book that mentions a whale and a chicken. You brought in Moby Dick and that is indeed the book we're looking for."


 

"You needed to find 3 books with pigs. You correctly identified one of the books as Charlotte's Web, and Animal Farm is correct too, but Sister, Sister is not a book we had in mind. We were also looking for The Lord of the Flies."





"You also needed to find 3 books with 'brown' on the first page of the first chapter. You identified The Grapes of Wrath, A Farewell To Arms and The Age of Innocence. All three are correct."






"You needed to find 5 books that had cigarettes in the story. They were The Fault in Our Stars, Still Life With Woodpecker, Typee, The Catcher in the Rye and Atlas Shrugged. You missed the last one."




"You needed to find 6 books about time travel. You correctly identified all of them: A Wrinkle in Time, Slaughterhouse 5, The Time Traveler's Wife, Outlander, The Time Machine and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."




"Finally, you needed to find 7 books that made mentions of a multiple of 3 on the first page. You found 1984 (45, 39), A Clockwork Orange (15), Emma (21), Scarlet Letter (3), To Kill A Mockingbird (3) and The Magic Mountain (3). However, you were just one book short of the complete collection: The Sound and the Fury (33)."



"This means that 22/25 books have been found and checked out. This is 88 points. As a bonus, for completing 3 collections, you also earn an additional 12 points, bringing your total to exactly 100 points. I hope you found wisdom, because the quiz will be coming shortly."

The pot is now at 163/330 points. The pot is fattened but someone won't be able to enjoy it. Who will it be?

*
*
*

  1. A Farewell to Arms - found by George
  2. The Time Traveler's Wife - found by eddy, Jim
  3. A Clockwork Orange - found by wendy, Cam
  4. Outlander - found by eddy, George
  5. Emma - found by larry, Myrtle
  6. Charlotte's Web- found by preston, Myrtle
  7. Moby Dick - found by Cam
  8. 1984  - found by wendy, George
  9. To Kill a Mockingbird - found by eddy, George
  10. The Age of Innocence - found by eddy, Cam
  11. Slaughterhouse 5 - found by preston, Petunia
  12. The Magic Mountain - found by wendy, Petunia
  13. Typee - found by eric/molly, George
  14. The Grapes of Wrath - found by Jim
  15. A Wrinkle in Time - found by wendy, Myrtle
  16. Animal Farm - found by molly/eric, Cam
  17. The Fault in Our Stars - found by eric/molly, Petunia
  18. The Scarlet Letter - found by larry, Cam
  19. Still Life with Woodpecker - found by wendy, Jim
  20. The Catcher in the Rye - found by wendy, Myrtle
  21. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - found by larry, Myrtle
  22. The Time Machine - found by George




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment! It may take some time for us to see and respond to the message. Do check back regularly because we try to respond to each and every comment!

We highly encourage you to sign in when commenting as well!