Monday 16 August 2021

51.07-Playing hearts

    



Previously on the Smole, five contestants had to search for books while the other six could help them in indirect ways. They earned 100/100 points thanks to a bonus of 12 points, causing the pot to be now 163/330 points. With no more exemptions in play, Petunia found herself the first to be executed. Was she the lowest scorer previously or did she slip up and fall? Who is the Mole that tripped her up?

*
*
*


Wendy: "We had the rest of the day off. While the men went to play sports and blow off some steam, the ladies decided to pamper ourselves."

*
*
*


Eric: "You know, maybe you should sit this one out, Jim. Don't want you to overexert."
Jim: "Ha! I used to be a collegiate basketballer and a basketball coach after that. You've got nothing on me."


Eric: "Oh yeah? Then let's play a match. Me and Larry versus you and Eddy. First to get 10 points wins."
Jim: "Bring it on."

*
*
*


Larry: "Over here!"



Larry: "I'm open!"


Eric: "Pass it to me!"


Larry: "Come on..."


Larry: "Shit."


Eric: "Larry you idiot."


Eddy: "Make the shot!"


Jim: "And another one."


Larry: "Got the ball!"


Eddy: "Jim, to you!"


Jim: "Watch this."


Jim: "Grand slam."


Jim: "That's 11. I gave you one extra."


Eddy: "Yeah!"


Jim: "Suck that!"
Eric: "Larry's too short. I gave you an advantage."


Eddy: "Don't be a sore loser, Eric."
Eric: "I'm not a sore loser! Basketball's not my thing. I'm going to run laps around the court."


Larry: "I think he couldn't concentrate ever since he lost his love."
Eddy: "Who?"


Larry: "Petunia, duh. Didn't you see the way they looked at each other all the time?"


Eric: "Don't be ridiculous. She was hot but that's the end of my affection towards her. And she's way older than me."
Larry: "Then why even flirt with her?"


Eric: "'Cause I can."

Larry: "What about Molly?"
Eric: "I just want to be able to get the ladies to swoon over me."


Jim: "You shouldn't be going around playing hearts like that, young man."
Eric: "Love's just a game to me. A game that I plan on winning."

*
*
*


Wendy: "This is the life."


Cam: "Have any of you gotten a full body massage?"


Myrtle: "I never had time."


Wendy: "It's a waste of money. But now that we're spending it on the producer's dime..."


Wendy: "I'm surprised you decided to join us, George."
George: "A massage helps to sooth the mind and body."


Wendy: "What do you think of Petunia's execution?"
Molly: "It's such a shame that anyone has to leave. She took it quite hard. I can't imagine how I would handle it."


Myrtle: "We first met in dystopia. George, you remember too, right? It was so relieving when I finally found someone like me in the future. And then we shared a room."


Cam: "Personally, I'm glad it's her."
Molly: "Why?"
Cam: "She's a very shallow woman."


Wendy: "Maybe she couldn't keep her head in the game."
Myrtle: "She told me that Eric was into her. She had the case of the love bug real bad."


Molly: "Oh my. Eric tried to get fresh with me."
Myrtle: "What did you do?"
Molly: "Reject him of course."


Wendy: "Ew. I didn't think he was so despicable."


Cam: "You must be bored with our gossip, George. I'm sorry that you have to sit through this and listen."


George: "Pretend I'm not here."


Myrtle: "You won't tell anyone about what we said, right?"
George: "My lips are sealed."


Molly: "By the way, where's Preston? Did he join the guys?"

*
*
*


Preston: "Hi. You must be important."


Preston: "George Bushwire."


Preston: "Greetings, Mr. Bushwire. Can you hear me?"


Preston: "I...I'm Preston Jeremiah. I work for the government."


Preston: "...Am I disturbing your rest? If I am, I apologise, Mr. Bushwire."

*
*
*



Contestants are going to their next mission. One by one, they will enter a showroom.


Behind each showroom is a pony. There is a photograph of each pony in front of each showroom, each corresponding to a different contestant.


However, the photographs have been jumbled up. Contestants must determine which pony is theirs to earn 80 points, all or nothing.


Each contestant will be segregated once they leave the showroom to prevent communication.


Each contestant will also only get to look at 5 showrooms maximum and will only claim their ponies at their end.


Eric goes first.


Eric: "I'll look at the first one."


Eric: "A red pony instead of a yellow one. Okay."


Eric: "The second showroom is a pink pony instead of a grey one."


Eric: "Oh, the pink pony should be in Showroom 3 but instead it's a black one."


Eric: "I found the yellow pony. The brown pony should be somewhere else."


Eric: "Ah, it's in the 5th one. I wonder where the green one is."


Eric: "I haven't found my grey pony yet but I've used up all my looks. Drats."

*
*
*


Molly is next.
Molly: "I'll start with the one closest to me. The blue pony."


Molly: "It's purple, not blue."


Molly: "Next closest is the yellow pony. Oh! It's red. I found my pony already."


Molly: "I'll just take a look at the others since I still have extra looks. This is green instead of black."


Molly: "It's a pink pony!"


Molly: "I know my red pony is in the second showroom, so what's in here? Ah, white."

*
*
*


Cam: "I'll go in reverse order, starting from this one."


Cam: "Still not it."


Cam: "This is the opposite of my pony."


Cam: "I think this is mine. It's black."


Cam: "This is blue, not white. White was in the other one."

*
*
*


George: "If I create a closed loop, there's a 35% chance I can find my pony in 5 tries or less. I shall start with the photo of my purple pony."


George: "Grey. Where is the grey photo?"


George: "I should look for a pink photo next."


George: "This is black."


George: "Oh, it's green. One last try."


George: "This is brown, not purple. I failed this time."

*
*
*


Jim is next. He looks at the first 5 showrooms.


Preston follows after, and he starts with Showroom 2, then 9, then 3, then 8, then 7.


Wendy starts with Showroom 1, then 8. Having found her pony, she stops.


Eddy begins with Showroom 10, then 9, then, 8, then 3, then 4.


Myrtle finds her blue pony photo at Showroom 10, then goes to Showroom 7, then 2, then 3, and finally 9.


Larry starts at Showroom 3, then 7, then 2 and stops. Everyone has gone a turn and they must now claim their ponies, starting with Eric.


Eric: "Maybe I just one short. I'll claim this showroom."


Molly: "I remember mine was the first."


Cam: "This is mine."


George: "I know it's not in the second, third, fifth, seventh or ninth room, so which one should I pick?"


Jim: "I found it at the last moment."


Preston: "I didn't manage to find mine. Where could the yellow one be?"


Wendy: "I found my pony. This is it."


Eddy: "Good to see nobody has screwed up and taken my spot yet."


Myrtle: "Oh, only two left. Neither of them are mine though."


Myrtle: "Sorry to whoever this belongs to."


Larry: "Myrtle, that's mine!"
Molly: "Oh no, does that mean we failed?"



"Larry thinks the third showroom's pony belongs to him."
Larry: "I didn't think that way, I just had no other choice."
"Unfortunately that is incorrect so the mission has failed."


"Myrtle and Larry aren't the only ones to have failed. Preston claimed George's pony as his own."


"George did likewise."


"In fact, the mission failed right at the start. Eric claimed Myrtle's blue pony."


"And Cam took Eric's."
Cam: "Isn't this black?"
"It's grey. The black pony is with Larry."


"Congratulations on yet another spectacular fail, contestants. You earned it."


One mistake is one too many, but six? No points have been added to the pot, which stands at 163/410 points. Is it the Mole's fault or the contestants' incompetence?

*
*
*

This mission is actually based on the "Prisoner Box" riddle by Ted-ED. You can find it here:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment! It may take some time for us to see and respond to the message. Do check back regularly because we try to respond to each and every comment!

We highly encourage you to sign in when commenting as well!