Monday 23 August 2021

51.09-Period-appropriate clothing

   



Last time on the Smole, the contestants had to claim ponies correctly to earn 80 points, of which none was earned because six of them failed. With the pot at 163/410 points, Preston was executed next. With 9 contestants left, which one of them is the Mole?

*
*
*


"Good morning to all contestants. As you may have seen, Roaring Heights places great emphasis on the arts. Today, we shall be exploring one of the most common facets of art: music. It will also be a trip down memory lane for all of you, as we will be exploring music from the past. Today, I require 3 contestants who are familiar with 70s music, 3 familiar with 80s music and 3 familiar with 90s music."


Eric: "I think we should do this based on age. The oldest three go with the 70s and the youngest with the 90s. The middle-aged group will be the 80s."
Eddy: "That sounds like a good plan to me."


Cam: "I don't have an opinion on this since I did not grow up listening to Simlish music."


Wendy: "Erm..am I in the middle-aged group? I'm not too familiar with the 80s."
Eddy: "You can do it."


Molly: "I grew up listening to the music of my parents' generation so I think I'm better suited for the 80s. Eddy and Eric, I hope you don't mind."
Eddy: "Not at all."
Eric: "Then I want to swap to the 80s too."


Myrtle: "I'll swap with you."


George: "I think it is better if we choose the era we are most familiar with, then sort the remaining based on age."
Eric: "My plan works too. It doesn't matter which order we do it."
Larry: "I think if nobody has any objections we can stick to this plan."

*
*
*


Molly: "We decided that George, Cam and Jim will be the 70s group, Wendy, Eric and I will be the 80s group while Myrtle, Larry and Eddy are the 90s group. We got to dress up in period-appropriate clothing before we set off too. I love 80s fashion."

*
*
*

George: "It feels like I have been transported to the 70s."


George: "Everything is so groovy."


Wendy: "My eyes!"
Molly: "What are you talking about? The colours are perfect!"
Wendy: "I meant I can't see with this crazy hairstyle."


Eddy: "I'm liking this already."


Contestants will be presented with a set of song word clouds. Each group will see 5 sets of word clouds and they must identify the songs to earn 6 points. 


They will first see the word cloud for the first line of the song. After a certain time, a more detailed word cloud will appear, building on by adding the next line of the song, but at the expense of points. Thus, the longer they take to guess the song, the more points will be lost. 


If they are unable to identify the song by the time the last word cloud appears, they will not earn any points for that song. This mission is worth 90 points in total.

*
*
*

Cam: "Night 21st, remember September. Huh?"
Jim: "I think this is September. But was it part of the 70s?"
George: "The song playing isn't September."
Jim: "The song that's playing is a generic song to mess with us. It doesn't match the word cloud."


Cam: "Oh, the word cloud changed really quickly."
Jim: "Then let's just make a guess. The song is September."


"That is correct."

*
*
*


Wendy: "What?"
Eric: "Got any ideas, Molly?"
Molly: "It's only 3 words. I don't know any song that goes 'uptight midnight gettin' in the first line."


Wendy: "I have a feeling it's not showing all the words."
Eric: "What 80s songs are there about midnight?"
Molly: "I don't know. Let's wait until the next one appears."


Eric: "This doesn't help."

*
*
*


Myrtle: "2,3,4,5?"


Eddy: "1,2,3,4,5, everybody get to the car, come on let's ride~"


Larry: "It's switching too quickly."
Eddy: "To the liquor store~"
Myrtle: "Don't just sing, Eddy. What song is it?"

Eddy: "It looks like Mambo No. 5."
Larry: "I don't think that's a 90s song. It's gotta be older than that."


Eddy: "Maybe you're right. Not all the lyrics are appearing on screen."
Myrtle: "That's how word clouds work. They show the more important words. Things like prepositions and articles won't appear by default."


Myrtle: "We're losing a lot of time though. Whatever this song is, it's going very fast."


Larry: "It's not Mambo. Mambo is older than that. And we don't see the word 'mambo'."
Eddy: "It doesn't appear in the song."
Larry: "Yes it does. It's the very first line."


Myrtle: "Like?"
Larry: "Is this a love song?"

Eddy: "Do you have any better ideas? We can keep guessing, you know. I think we should just make a guess."



Larry: "Is this the Carly Rae Jepsen song? I Really Really Really Really Like You?"
"That is incorrect."

Eddy: "Mambo No. 5. The girls' names are appearing."
Myrtle: "Where?"
Eddy: "At the side."


Eddy: "This song is Mambo No. 5."


"That is correct."


*
*
*



Wendy: "This is a confusing song. Both love and hate?"
Eric: "It's definitely a love song. Maybe a breakup one."


Eric: "What changed?"
Wendy: "The order of the words."
Molly: "Some of them are so tiny."



Wendy: "You chose the 80s, Molly."
Eric: "What song do you know? Just name a random one."
Molly: "Livin' On a Prayer?"


"That is incorrect."

*
*
*


Jim: "Deep love?"
George: "Oh. This is How Deep Is Your Love by the Bee's Gees. They were famous back in their time."



"That is correct."

*
*
*


Myrtle: "Is this Superstiion by Stevie Wonder?"
Larry: "Stevie Wonder is OLD."


Eddy: "This feels like a ritual song."


Myrtle: "Why do all our word clouds keep emphasising unimportant words?"
Larry: "Maybe 'new' is very important."

*
*
*


Jim: "This is from Grease...You're the One That I Want."


"That is correct."



George: "Good job Jim."
Jim: "Grease was the shit. I remember thinking how Olivia Newton-John was the hottest thing."
George: "Do you really not recognise any of these songs, Cam?"
Cam: "No. Sorry I can't be of much help."

*
*
*


Molly: "I can't believe we didn't realise that was I Hate Myself For Loving You. You're even dressed like Joan Jettson!"
Eric: "Guys, shall we focus on the next set of word clouds?"




Wendy: "Wait till just now? I'm very lost."


Eric: "Oh, this is Walking on Sunshine! I know this one!"


"That is correct."


Wendy: "Nice going."
Molly: "I'm walking on sunshine, whoa, boy does it feel good!~"
Eric: "Mm, yes, shake that ass."

*
*
*


Eddy: "The light is making it hard to see."


Larry: "Are y'all thinking what I'm thinking?"


Larry: "Believe, when I say~"
Myrtle: "I want it that way~"
Larry: "Tell me why~"


Eddy: "Okay let's not get carried away. The answer is Tell me...wait no, it's I Want It That Way. By The Backstreet Boys."


"That is correct."

*
*
*


Molly: "Oh! Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. I love this song!"


"That is correct."

*
*
*


Cam: "Just one word?"


George: "Writing's on the wall."

Cam: "What's below 'superstitious'?"


Jim: "What the hell? They're so tiny. This tiny-ass TV makes it worse."
George: "Let's try to take a closer look."

*
*
*

Eddy: "Guys, focus. We need to stay on track. The biggest clue here is that 'dumb' got mentioned a lot at the start of the song. What song could it be?"
Larry: "Dumb Girls?"


"That's incorrect."
Myrtle: "What song is that?"
Larry: "I dunno. I made it up."

*
*
*

Wendy: "This is the fourth time they showed this word."

Molly: "Jitterbug boom?"

*
*
*


George: "A funny feeling inside."
Jim: "Any ideas, wise guy?"
George: "Not at all. I'm overloaded with information. There's not enough keywords. I think you're our best hope, Jim."


Jim: "Damn right."

*
*
*


Eric: "Haha!"


Molly: "I don't get it. What's so funny?"
Eric: "Because 'bang' and 'boom'. This sounds like my kinda song. Is the song Bang Bang?"


"That is incorrect."
Molly: "Bang Bang was released in 2013."

*
*
*


Myrtle: "Oh. Could it be that song from Shrek? Hey now, you're an all-star~"
Larry: "Come on, get laid~"
Myrtle: "I don't think that's how the song goes."



Eddy: "Ugh, nevermind I'll do it myself. All Star."
"That is correct."

*
*
*


Eddy: "We were there for a mission but Larry and Myrtle turned it into a karaoke session...with the wrong song playing, at that. We could have gotten more points if we actually shouted out any answer we knew. It didn't have to be right and there was nothing to discuss. This is exactly why our pot is so low."

*
*
*


Eric: "Oh my mama. Those are a lot of words."
Wendy: "Let's dissect them before they change again."
Eric: "It's got to be a sex song."


Wendy: "Sex songs are all that you have in your head."
Molly: "Literally. They've all you been guessing."

*
*
*


"The song was Your Song by Elton John."


Cam: "We didn't manage to get it right."
George: "Fret not. We did a good job, especially you, Jim."
Jim: "...Thanks. So, we're done?"
"Please head outside and wait for the rest."

*
*
*


Myrtle: "DOA? Oh, this is from Friends! But what's the song name?"


Eddy: "Larry, help Myrtle think. I've never watched Friends before."
Larry: "You never what?"
Eddy: "That's not important right now. Help Myrtle."


Myrtle: "It's the theme song..."
Larry: "I'll Be There For You?"
Myrtle: "Yes! That's the one!"


"That is correct."

*
*
*


Wendy: "Shot through the heart~"
Eric: "And you're to blame~"
Molly: "You give love a bad name~"


Eric: "I played my part~"
Wendy: "And you played your game~"
Molly: "You give love a bad name~"


Wendy: "Wait, how long were we singing for?"
Eric: "Oh no. Quick. The song is You Give Love A Bad Name."
"That is correct."


Molly: "Woo! Great job guys!"
Eric: "I say we celebrate the 80s way, if you know what I mean."
Wendy: "How do they celebrate in the 80s?"


Eric: "...Nevermind. Let's just head outside."

*
*
*


"Congratulations on completing your trip through the 70s, 80s and 90s. The 70s group earned a total of 17.5634 points. The 80s group earned 13.0576 points. The 90s group earned 20.4034 points. In total, that makes 51.0244/90 points, or 51 for roundedness' sake. But this mission isn't over. You can go for a bonus round, but only one of you can take part in it. Choose one contestant who is familiar with music across all eras if you want to play the bonus round."


Molly: "Can I go? I grew up in the entertainment industry."


George: "Jim was the most valued player on our team. On behalf of the 70s team, I nominate Jim."


Larry: "Both of you got less than 20 points. If anyone should go, it should be from the 90s group."


Eddy: "Exactly my point. Listen to me, everyone. The pot is really low right now. We need to make use of the bonus round and we must do so wisely. We need someone who is familiar with songs and lyrics and will not be easily distracted."


Wendy: "Are you trying to push yourself?"
Eddy: "It doesn't have to be me. But I would be honoured to take this position."


Jim: "Bullshit. Just say that you want to go like the rest of us."


Eric: "We should nominate someone young. The host said 'across all eras'. That includes recent music. They won't be playing oldies music again since we already did that, and I'm obsessed with recent songs, so...get my drift?"
Molly: "I know a lot of new songs too. I think I contributed just now."


Wendy: "For someone who volunteered, your performance was disappointing."
Cam: "Let us not argue here."


Eddy: "Yes. Let's put it to the vote. Let's go around the table and each of us says who we want to take part in the bonus round. You can't say your own name."


Eddy: "I'll start the ball rolling. I nominate Eric."
Larry: "I nominate Eric too."
Wendy: "I nominate Eddy."
Cam: "I nominate Jim."
Jim: "I nominate George."
George: "Oh. Thank you. I nominate Jim."
Molly: "I nominate...Eric."
Eric: "I nominate Eddy."
Myrtle: "I nominate Eddy."


Eric: "It's down to you or me."
Myrtle: "We should re-vote."


George: "I think Jim should revote. I never put my hat in the ring so should not have been one of the contenders."


Jim: "Fine. In that case, I pick..."


Jim: "...Eddy."
Eddy: "Thank you. I won't let you down."


"Eddy, please head inside the room behind you."


"Eddy, in this round, you will get to multiply your earnings. All you have to do is listen to the song being played and identify the correct word cloud that goes with the song. Do this 5 times, and the pot will grow by 50 points, 10 per song. However, for each wrong song you halve the earnings."


Eddy: "Where did all these TVs come from?"


Eddy: "Oh, nevermind that. The first song is starting."


Eddy: "Oh, is this Stupid Cupid?"


Eddy: "Only two screens are showing."


Eddy: "And of course both of them have 'stupid' and 'Cupid'."


Eddy: "Stupid Cupid, stop picking on me~"


Eddy: "This should be the song cloud."
"That is correct."


Eddy: "Never heard of this one before."


Eddy: "Let me see what my options are."


Eddy: "Hmm..."


Eddy: "There are three now."


Eddy: "Oh, I think I have heard this before."


Eddy: "This doesn't have summer so it's not this."


Eddy: "This doesn't have twist prominently."


Eddy: "That leaves me with this one. I choose this one."
"That is correct."
Eddy: "YES!"


Eddy: "I actually know this one."


Eddy: "No idea what this song is but definitely not Soul Sister."


Eddy: "This could be it."


Eddy: "This too...wait, there's a Mother but no sister."


Eddy: "This song is about family."



Eddy: "I pick this one."
"That is correct."



Eddy: "This is easy."


Eddy: "Never heard of it but sounds modern."


Eddy: "I can't tell if it's this one that early in the song."


Eddy: "Let, go, storm...is this Frozen?"


Eddy: "They are all quite similar."


Eddy: "This is such a depressing set of lyrics. I don't think it's this one."


Eddy: "No idea what he just sang but I don't think it was 'stone cold'."


Eddy: "I'll just pick this one. I'm not sure."
"That is correct."
Eddy: "Wait, really?"


Eddy: "This is really old-sounding."



Eddy: "The lyrics must be short based on what I saw in the first round. Makes sense for music of the past."




Eddy: "Misbehaving must be a keyword. Didn't hear it yet."



Eddy: "The 'la de da' may be an interlude."


Eddy: "Another one saying 'misbehavin'. Did they use 'ain't' in the past?"


Eddy: "By elimination this probably isn't it."


Eddy: "I have no idea. But it's the first, second or fourth one."


Eddy: "I pick the first one."
"That is incorrect."


"This was the correct word cloud."


Eddy: "Oh. Well, I didn't do so bad."

*
*
*


"Contestants, Eddy has completed the bonus round. He has earned 40 points for you, so you could have earned 91 points in this mission, but he also halved the points for you, so you earn 45/90 points, or 208/500 points. Hopefully all of you have gained an appreciation for music."


Things are looking up, points-wise, but will it be enough to beat the Mole? Who will the Mole beat and cause to be executed next?


*
*
*

Here are the full list of 70s, 80s and 90s songs!

Groovy 70s Tunes



Rad 80s Music



Nostalgic 90s Melodies






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment! It may take some time for us to see and respond to the message. Do check back regularly because we try to respond to each and every comment!

We highly encourage you to sign in when commenting as well!