Friday 1 September 2017

34.05-I'm driving in pee


Previously on the Smole, the contestants had to try and convince an audience that they were the Mole. Gabriel was the least convincing and thus won an exemption whereas Felix was the most convincing. For now, 100 have been earned, making the pot 100/200 points, but should Felix really turn out to be the Mole, this pot will lose 100 points. Is he the Mole? Or is it Gabriel? One thing's for sure: it's not Wanda Ball, since she was executed.

***


Janice: "I thought I'd just come in to clarify some things first. No, I am not a goth. I'm scene, alright? I just like dark colours. It's my style."


Maggie: "Why couldn't we have taken the yellow car?"
Janice: "Because I don't want to look like I'm driving in pee."


Gladys: "What a quiet ride. Are you sure nobody here wants to converse or share any heartfelt matters?"

***
"Welcome back to school. You have been split into separate classrooms. In this classroom, the five of you will answer 10 trivia questions. Each correct answer earns 10 points. Each of you has a computer in front of you. Questions will appear on one computer only, so whoever is seated there must make the final decision and answer that question within one minute. However, you will get the chance to decide which question appears on which computer. There are five categories: Literature, Music, Geography, Sports and Others. Good luck."


Kairel: "Hmm, how shall we do this, guys?"


Lewis: "The 'Others' Category is so vague."


Kairel: "Hmm, maybe I can do lit? 'Cause I'm lit, you know?"


Kairel: "Hahahaha...okay, I admit, that was bad. But I think I can do any of these categories. I know quite a bit of trivia."


Lily: "Maybe I can say something? Since Kairel is so confident, we can give him 'others', since that's the broadest."
Lewis: "Let me do geography. I think I can handle that."
Lily: "I'm not good at any of these so I'll be fine with whatever is left over."


Darren: "Maybe I can do music, since it requires the least Simlish."


Maggie: "Hmm, literature involves more noodles than sports. I mean, sports are for dumb kids...kidding. But I guess I'll take literature."


Lily: "Okay then. Then I'll accept doing sports. Just don't count on it being great."


Kairel: "Oh, I hear a ping from my laptop. Let's see...what colour is the 'l' on Google's logo?"


Lewis: "Oh, we also get to view the question on the screen.
A: Red
B: Blue
C: Green"


Kairel: "It's C. I'm pretty sure about it."


Maggie: "I thought it was yellow."


Kairel: "It's too late now."


Maggie: "Oh, my thing is making noise."


Maggie: "Under what pseudonym did Emily Bronte publish Wuthering Heights
A: Ellis Bell
B: Florian Bell
C: Janet Bell" 


Maggie: "I'm intellectually capable enough to know the answer is A. Which idiot doesn't know that?"


Darren: "Eh..."


Lewis: "I didn't. But I hope you're correct, Maggie."


Darren: "Looks like it is my turn."


Darren: "In which dynasty is the guzheng believed to have been invented?
A: Qin Dynasty
B: Han Dynasty
C: Ming Dynasty"


Darren: "Ming is too late, and I think so is Han...the answer is A: Qin."


Lily: "Oh, that counts as music?"


Lewis: "How many continents are there in the world?
A: 5
B: 6
C: 7"


Lewis: "Wait, I should know this...North America, South America, Asia, Europe...what else...oh, Africa, where Gladys is from. There's also Australia I think...6?"


Lewis: "Wait, there's one more: Antarctica. That's 7. C."


Lily: "Looks like this one is for me."


Lily: "Where was the 2008 Summer Olympics held?
A: London
B: Beijing
C: Rio de Janeiro."


Lily: "Ah! I remember. It's in Beijing. B for Beijing."


Darren: "Oh, is it my turn already?"


Darren: "Which song is not by 'The Beatles'?
A: Ruby Tuesday
B: Blackbird
C: All My Loving"


Darren: "I don't know who these beetles are."
Lewis: "You've got to be kidding me."


Darren: "I don't know. I will just put A."


Lily: "What is this?"


Lily: "Who won the NFL in 2016?
A: New England Patriots
B: The Denver Broncos
C: Baltimore Ravens"


Lily: "I don't follow sports that closely but I heard about it from my brother. I think the answer is B."


Lily: "Hopefully it's correct. There's no use worrying about it now."


Lily: "I was not my usual self during the mission. Usually I'm more composed, especially during tests. I think the fact that the others are counting on you to not mess up was an added pressure."


Maggie: "What in noodles? How many words are in Shakespeare's 'Othello'? How would I know?"


Maggie: "A for 29,320, B for  26, 450 and C for 33, 870. I'll just go with the longest one, C."


Kairel: "Who painted Le déjeuner sur l'herbe?
A: Manet
B: Monet
C: Munch"


Kairel: "Let's see...M&M or M? This is a tough one."


Kairel: "I'll go with B."


Kairel: "No wait...yep, B. And done."


Lewis: "The last question is for me. I hope I can do well."


Lewis: "Which country does not share a border with France?
A: Switzerland
B: Andorra
C: Iran"


Lewis: "Pretty sure Iran is in the Middle East or Asia whereas France is in Europe, so my answer will be C: Iran. And that concludes the trivia. Wonder how the others are doing."



"You five are in the second group. You will be answering 10 trivia questions like the first group, but the first group has been told that each correct answer earns points when in actual fact each correct answer takes 10 points away. Therefore it is possible to empty your pot in this mission. However, you get the chance to block these penalties. In front of you is a computer. If a question appears on your computer, you must answer it alone. You have to answer what you think the contestant in the other classroom answered within a minute to block the penalty. If they answer a question wrongly and you get it correct, you incur the penalty instead. But if you are able to pick the same option as them, you can earn 10 bonus points for your efforts. You get to decide which question appears on which computer. There are five categories: Literature, Music, Geography, Sports and Others. Good luck."


Janice: "What a cruel mission....I love it."


Janice: "I bet literature is going to be all 'woe is me' and Shakespeare."
Gladys: "Then it'd be perfect for you, my dear."


Janice: "No, it'd be perfect for that mopehead in front of me."
Felix: "Huh? Oh, I guess I can do music."
Janice: "Facepalm. Fine. I'll do literature. But it's not by compulsion."


Gabriel: "Felix does seem the most suited. I hope that the others did badly. I want to do sports. I follow up a bit."


Gladys: "That is fine by me. Do you have a preference, Mr. Sol?"
James: "I'd let you decide, Mrs. Delmeer-Gomez."
Gladys: "Very well. I shall go with 'Others' then, since I presume I have the most knowledge of other stuff. Is this an acceptable plan for you?"
James: "Yes, go ahead."


James: "And I get the first question. How many continents are there in the world?
A: 5
B: 6
C: 7"


James: "Surely they would know the answer is C. Only a fool would get it wrong."


Gabriel: "C? 7? I thought there were only 5?"


Gabriel: "Let me count...America, Australia, Europe, Asia...Africa. I think you've got it wrong, James. But it's too late to change now."


Gladys: "Oh. I received a question. what colour is the 'l' on Google's logo?
A: Red
B: Blue
C: Green"


Gladys: "I never really noticed. How foolish of me."


Gladys: "I shall make my best judgement and go with A: Red. I hope my memory serves me well."


James: "Hmm? Me again?"


James: "Which country does not share a border with France?
A: Switzerland
B: Andorra
C: Iran"


James: "I am fairly certain the answer is C, but I am a bit doubtful."


James: "And I am done."


Gabriel: "Where was the 2008 Summer Olympics held?
A: London
B: Beijing
C: Rio de Janeiro."


Gabriel: "I think it was in Beijing, so B."


Janice: "Under what pseudonym did Emily Bronte publish Wuthering Heights
A: Ellis Bell
B: Florian Bell
C: Janet Bell" 

Janice: "I hated that book so much I blocked all memory of it."


Janice: "I'll go with B. That sounds like a very old-fashioned name, befitting of an oldish woman."
Gladys: "This is looking bad."
Janice: "It doesn't matter if we're correct anyway. What matters is that we match the other classroom's answers. There's no way the other group is better at trivia than we."


Gabriel: "Oh! I hear something."


James: "Then open it."
Gabriel: "Huh? Orh, okay."


Gabriel: "Who won the NFL in 2016?
A: New England Patriots
B: The Denver Broncos
C: Baltimore Ravens"


Gabriel: "I think the Denver Broncos won. B."


Gladys: "Finally. Who painted Le déjeuner sur l'herbe?
A: Manet
B: Monet
C: Munch"


Gladys: "It is a good thing I have this painting in my office."


Gladys: "An inquisitive mind serves me well. I was told that Manet painted this. So my answer will be A."


Gladys: "I feel very confident about this."


Janice: "Why is the sad lovesick lad still sitting around doing nothing? Why hasn't he got a question yet, hmm?"
Felix: "I don't know, Abby...I mean, Janice."


Janice: "Me again. How many words are in Shakespeare's 'Othello'?
A: 29,320
B: 26,450
C: 33,870


Janice: "Why am I expected to know this? It's so trivial."
Gladys: "Excuse me, Ms. Ilien, but it is called trivia for a reason."
Janice: "Woo. Go win a Nobel prize for obviousness or something."


Janice: "I don't think the other party knows this, so whoever answered is likely to give the longest option, which is C."


Felix: "Oh!"


Felix: "In which dynasty is the guzheng believed to have been invented?
A: Qin Dynasty
B: Han Dynasty
C: Ming Dynasty"


Felix: "This is for Darren, not me. Are there enough As? I'll go with A."


Janice: "Your computer rang again."


Felix: "Hmm...Which song is not by 'The Beatles'?
A: Ruby Tuesday
B: Blackbird
C: All My Loving"


Felix: "I don't know which songs are Beatles songs."
Janice: "This is a disaster."


Felix: "But Abby's parents loved The Rolling Stones. Ruby Tuesday is by the Rolling Stones, I believe, so the answer should be A."


"And now for the results. In the first classroom, They answered 8/10 questions correctly. Shakespeare's Othello and the creator of Le déjeuner sur l'herbe are questions they got wrong."
Janice: "Damn that group is too good. I have never wished the group sucked so much as now."
"As for you, you have answered a total of 7 questions correctly."
Gabriel: "A -10 penalty isn't all that bad. We did quite well."
"How many words are there in Shakespeare's Othello? The correct answer is B. Maggie answered C, and so did Janice, so you earn 10 bonus points. Who painted Le déjeuner sur l'herbe? Kairel answered B but Gladys answered A. The correct answer is A, so that 10 bonus points are lost again."
James: "Wait. If Gladys answered one question correctly that they got wrong, that means that we only blocked 6 penalties."
"Very astute. The others knew that the 'l' in Google's logo is green but you answered red. They also knew Emily Bronte's pseudonym was Ellis Bell, not Florian Bell. Therefore, you have incurred a -20 penalty, leaving the pot with 80/200 points. If Felix is the Mole, then you will end up with -20/200 points. You have scored an F, class. Class dismissed."
Gladys: "How could I be the sinner? I will make it up to you, I promise."

A test of trivia has left the group 20 points poorer. Are the Moles at work?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment! It may take some time for us to see and respond to the message. Do check back regularly because we try to respond to each and every comment!

We highly encourage you to sign in when commenting as well!