Monday 18 November 2019

48.16-Superman booth


In the last episode of the Smole, the final four took a crash course in either History, Biology, Economics or Literature, then had to sit for the wrong paper. They helped each other without being caught and as a result had 28 questions correct in total, earning 140/200 points in the mission to make the pot 450/920 points. They did well, but will they do well enough to make it to the finale?


***


Derrick: "We worked really well together in that mission. None of us got caught. We were all transferring information from point to point and we also warned one another when an invigilator was nearby. That is how we did so well. Of course, I must emphasise that I do not condone cheating in real life or exams. We're better than that. Do not cheat, kids."

***


Emily: "I'm so glad that we're on okay terms now. To think I was jealous of you before."


Derrick: "It's partly my fault too. I didn't think about how you felt so you suffered in silence."
Emily: "No, you were right. I shouldn't have bottled up my feelings and let them fester."


Derrick: "It's in the past now anyway. What matters is how you move on from here."


Emily: "I want to move on. I want to mend my relationship with Ben. A cold war solves nothing but only deepens misunderstanding. He had a problem, and he didn't tell me. It makes me feel like I failed as a wife. He couldn't trust me enough to tell me his true feelings. So like me he tried to suppress them until he couldn't any more, and then..."


Derrick: "You don't have to force yourself too hard either if you can't get over it that quickly. But whatever decision you make I'll support you. There's something you should know about yourself, Emily. You're very brave. Not many women will stay by their husband's side after...you know."


Emily: "Looking at it more distantly, I see now that he didn't truly love Shirley. He was just confused and lonely because I wasn't there for him. I want to be a better wife. I want him to know that I still care for him, and that he doesn't have to hide his feelings from me any more."


Derrick: "You know why I decided to become a teacher? It was to help students, not just in their schoolwork but also in all their problems. I'm not able to fix all of them but over the years I learned that speaking up about it is always the first right step. Hearing you talk about this right now makes me feel all fuzzy inside and further reaffirms why I went into teaching in the first place."


Derrick: "Your problems won't go away if you don't face them. But you don't have to face them alone. You'll find that you're surrounded by so many friends and family who will be there with you to face them together. And maybe next time you can pay it forward."
Emily: "Thank you. I needed to hear that."

***


Emily: "I'm ready to be the active player in this marriage. I'm ready to try and fix it. Now it's all up to Ben. If it doesn't work out in the end...at least I tried this time."

***


Noel: "Slow down there. Don't want to have to perform mouth-to-mouth on you. My wife would get jealous...right. Forgot you don't understand half the jokes I make."


Noel: "How are my waffles? Good?"
Maya: "Good."


Noel: "I figured it'd be nice to make the food for a change. You're always the one cooking for us, even when Joyce was still around you helped her in the kitchen."


Noel: "You came here to play the game, not to wait on others."


Noel: "It's not fair for you if you have to concern yourself with the state of affairs in the house while the rest of us don't."


Noel: "And I know I'm just talking to myself but I want a challenge and I hope that all of us here will give it our all, you included."


Maya: "You want me use...correction?"


Noel: "I didn't...wait, you still haven't used it?"
Maya: "No. You want?"


Noel: "I do, but it's yours to keep. You earned it so you use it. You don't always have to put others first, Maya. It's okay to pamper yourself and put yourself first once in a while. The house won't collapse."

***


Noel: "I feel bad for Maya. She's been quietly serving the rest of us the whole journey, making us food, helping clean up after us...or me, since I'm a lazy ass. It actually pains me to see her working so hard for others without taking a break to treat herself. It's even more painful to see that she conditioned herself to it, because she's the only support her family has. Damn it. She's good at unintentional guilt-trip."

***


Emily: "Hey Maya."
Maya: "Hello."


Emily: "Can we talk?"


Emily: "I'm sorry about what I said the other day about you having a motive for getting close to me. I shouldn't have implied that we weren't friends."


Maya: "We...no friend?"


Emily: "Of course we are! We'll always be friends."


Emily: "You don't have to isolate yourself from everyone or feel inferior. I want you to know that you're just as capable, just as smart and just as resilient as any of us here."


Maya: "Huh?"


Emily: "I just want you to know that you have a lot of friends and are loved by everyone in the house."


Maya: "Friend."

***


Maya: "I no know what Emily say. I no feel sad. Smole is very new. But I happy she say I am friend."

***



Derrick: "Thanks! That's great advice and so much more relevant than what Maxim told me."


Noel: "He's a part of the past now. Anyway, you shouldn't worry too much. I had Noah when I was totally unprepared. You'll do fine."


Derrick: "You also ran away to join a circus."
Noel: "Details, details. I came here with Noah, didn't I?"


Noel: "Parenthood will have its ups and downs. Mostly downs first. But as they get older you'll slowly see that everything was worth it. And if not, at least you now have a free punching bag."


Derrick: "Pretty sure he costs a bomb, ha."


*
*
*

It is time for the quiz. 10 questions about the Mole's identity. The lowest scorer will be executed.


Q1: Is the Mole male or female?
A: Male
B: Female

Q2: Does the Mole wear makeup?
A: Yes
B: No

Q3: What colour is the Mole's hair?
A:  Black
B: Blonde
C: Brown
D: Red


Q4: In Mission 8, which car did the Mole take?
A: Blue
B: White
C: Taxi

Q5: In Mission 8, which classroom did the Mole enter?
A: A-01
B: B-02
C: C-03
D: D-04


Q6: Which subject did the Mole take a crash course in in Mission 8?
A: History
B: Economics
C: Biology
D: Literature

Q7: In Mission 8, which examination did the Mole receive?
A: History
B: Economics
C: Biology
D: Literature



Q8: How many questions did the Mole get correct in Mission 8?
A: 5
B: 6
C: 8
D: 9

Q9: What was the Mole's index number in Mission 8?
A: 02
B: 06
C: 09
D: 11

Q10: Who is the Mole?
A: Emily Brenner
B: Maya Hennessey
C: Noel McAllister
D: Derrick Wyland

*
*
*



Emily: "There's someone who I just can't believe isn't it, but my suspicions have been tingling. Then there's someone who was always there messing things up, but always just managed to avoid the blame. If I had to only pick one..."


Noel: "From very early on I had two suspects in mind. I was hoping on cruising until one of them left, but unfortunately both of them are still in the game. I've been adding to the risk every quiz and I survived, so it's finally time for me to cast one of my suspects aside."


Maya: "They say many thing. I no know what is true, what is no true. I do my goodgoodgood. Now I know many thing. I know Mole."


Derrick: "Maya and I have been working it out. She provides the information from others while I try to analyse them. As a teacher, I know how to spread my risks and maximise my score on quizzes even if I don't know all the answers. My main suspect will always get the bulk of it, but I couldn't help but put a few on the others just in case."


"Contestants, welcome to your final execution ceremony. We have three train tickets to the finale in Bridgeport, so one of you won't get on the ride. Who will be the last one to be executed?"


"Noel McAllister."

































































































































































































































































































































































































"You are through to the finale."
Noel: "Yes!"


Noel: "I'm in the finale! I gotcha now, Mole!"


"Maya Hennessey."

























































































































































































































































































































































"You are through to the finale."
Maya: "Thank you..."


"One ticket left but two hopefuls remaining."


"Derrick Wyland,"


"Emily Brenner, both of you will find out your fate at the same time."



























































































































































































































































































































































































"Derrick Wyland, you are the last finalist. Emily Brenner, you have been executed."


Derrick: "Oh what?"


Emily: "No..."


Emily: "I was very close. I came in hoping to just get by each quiz but I actually felt I had a chance once  I made it to the final four. I feel lighter after coming here, so I don't regret coming here. I wish good luck to all of you."


Derrick: "I did not expect Emily to be leaving. I thought it would be me. I had suspected her but not only that, watching her grow was like watching my own kid spread her wings and fly. I know we're only a few years different in age but she has been a wonderful contestant and I am truly sad to see her go."


Maya: "Emily is friend. I sad. Friend bye bye. Everybody friend. Everybody go I sad."


Noel: "I can feel the disappointment. To be so close and almost taste victory only to be pulled back down to reality, ouch. So glad it's not me. But that doesn't mean I'm glad it was her either. Emily was very good-natured. Such a shame."


Emily: "Thanks for the kind words."


Emily: "We meet again, Superman booth."






"Only three contestants left. Who will win? More importantly, who is the Mole?"


"Is it Derrick Wyland?"


"Is it Maya Hennessey?"


"Or is it Noel McAllister?"


The finalists are known! Who do you think the Mole is?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment! It may take some time for us to see and respond to the message. Do check back regularly because we try to respond to each and every comment!

We highly encourage you to sign in when commenting as well!