Sunday 15 September 2024

59.05-Ew, unfinished décor




Last time on the Smole, the contestants had to either redecorate a house using fengshui rules or arrange Chinese dynasties in chronological order. 45/90 points were the result of that mission, bringing the pot up to 98/225 points. Raymundo managed to earn himself a hidden exemption, saving him, but if was Ted who needed to be saved as he was the second to be executed. The two old souls have been executed, so who will be next? Who is the Mole?

*
*
*


Jordana: "The hardest thing about this show aren't the missions or the quizzes, it's saying goodbye to others. Yes, they're your competitors, but they can also be your friend. You want them to make it further with you and you never know when they might be executed."

*
*
*


Sienna: "Please put on some clothes."
Adriel: "I'm comfortable in my own skin. You should be too."


"Good morning contestants. Today I will need two translators and three contestants with knowledge of a wide repertoire of songs."


Sheila: "Anyone knows Chinese?"
Seamus: "That's what they want you to think."
Sienna: "I think it's more likely that it's Chinese."


Rudy: "Seems like none of us know it."
Mary: "How about a second language? Can any of you speak a second language?"


Adriel: "Ramona is Italian and Samantha is African."
Ramona: "I know a lot of songs as well. Like Latin songs."
Seamus: "That makes you perfect for being a translator!"


Mary: "I think the three with a wide repertoire of song knowledge should listen to pop. Pop is the widest genre."
Seamus: "I sincerely disagree with that."
Sheila: "Seamus, I don't think you have very useful taste in music."


Mary: "What kind of music do you listen to?"
Seamus: "Eh, Seasons of Love, The Ballad of Sweeney Todd, the usual."
Mary: "I fail to see how that supports your point."
Seamus: "Can't say I didn't try."


Mary: "I listen to pop."
Adriel: "Me too."
Mary: "Anyone else?"


Jordana: "I listen to indie folk a lot. It would be good to have a diverse selection of music hehe."
Ramona: "I think I should be a part of it."
Raymundo: "You're a dancer, not a singer.
Adriel: "Come on Ramona, be good. Take one for the team."


Mary: "No objections? Then it's settled."

*
*
*


Mary, Adriel and Jordana will be given random prompts. They have to each name a song. If all three succeed in naming 3 different songs, they earn 3 points. If they name a song that does not match the prompt, or if they fail to name a song in 5 seconds, that round earns nothing. There are 15 rounds and they can earn up to 45 points in total. However, if any of them repeats a song that has been mentioned in any of the current or prior rounds, the mission ends with 0 points added to the pot.


The prompts also happen to be in Chinese. That's where Samantha and Ramona come in. They are given dictionaries and have 20 minutes to translate the prompts before the singers start. If they are unable to translate all 15 prompts in time, the singers will receive repeated prompts to make up 15 rounds, increasing the risk of repeating a song.

*
*
*


Samantha: "Don't get me wrong. China is such a beautiful country to visit...but it's also a very tiring country to visit."

*
*
*


Ramona: "This one looks the easiest. It starts with 80. There's also this one that says Glee and Pitch Perfect."
Samantha: "I see a lot of prompts that have these two symbols."
Ramona: "They might mean 'song'."
Samantha: "This one looks like a house. This one also looks like a house. But a straw house."
Ramona: "Shh. I'm trying to memorise the symbols."


Ramona: "Okay, I think I remember a few easy ones."


Ramona: "Ew, unfinished décor."


Ramona: "Why are there multiple dictionaries?"


Ramona: "Let me see here...how do you use a Chinese dictionary?"


Samantha: "This one is too long. Maybe we should skip this one."


Ramona: "I'm back...I understand why this mission is 20 minutes now. Anyway, the one with 80 is called '80s songs'. Write that down."
Samantha: "So these four words mean 'song'?"
Ramona: "Yes. This one means 'love song'. This one is 'songs that were from Glee or Pitch Perfect'."


Ramona: "I think we should take turns."
Samantha: "But it's so high."
Ramona: "That's not an excuse. If I have to do it so do you."
Samantha: "Fine, but you go first."
Ramona: "...Fine. Then after that it's your turn."

*
*
*


Ramona: "Ah, the boxy head thing means 'boy'."

*
*
*


Samantha: "House word and other house word..."


Samantha: "English songs? The other one means...Tai? Tie le...Taylor Swift?"

*
*
*


Samantha: "There are still a few more to go."
Ramona: "Shh, I am trying to memorise this one."
Samamtha: "I think this is too hard. That's why I kept it aside."

*
*
*


Ramona: "Hey, this means hero, not English!"

*
*
*




Samantha: "Hurry! We're almost out of time!"


Ramona: "ROCK SONG! WRITE THAT DOWN! ROCK SONG!"

*
*
*


Samantha and Ramona managed to translate 11 prompts correctly. The rest can help to earn 3 more chances for the singers. Rudy, Seamus, Sheila, Sienna and Raymundo can help by completing various tasks to play a song that has already been named in their noise-cancelling headphones.


Rudy and Seamus have to arrange the zodiac animals in the correct order.


Sienna and Sheila have to perform 3 identical poses in a row without looking at each other.


Raymundo has to beat a Sim fu expert.


Raymundo: "I'm a black belt."
Lee: "You're not even Chinese."


Lee: "I'll show you true martial arts."


Lee: "I can pre-empt your every move."

*
*
*


Mary: "We had a plan. We arranged ourselves based on how many songs we knew. For each prompt, Adriel and I would brainstorm multiple songs and try to name the more obscure ones to avoid collisions, but if we could not think of something obscure we would just name what we have and move on."

*
*
*


Lee: "Your moves are inauthentic."
Raymundo: "I don't care if it's authentic. I just care about winning."

*
*
*


Sheila and Sienna cannot communicate.


They're not doing the same moves.


Sheila: "Ughh..."


Sheila: "Woahh..."

*
*
*


Rudy: "Do we not get any hints at all?"
Seamus: "We freestyle. My favourite."

*
*
*


"Jordana, an 80s song."
Jordana: "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper. Girls just wanna have fun ♪"
"Mary, an 80s song."
Mary: "Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye. When I get that feeling/I want sexual healing/sexual healing, oh baby ♪"


"Adriel, an 80s song."
Adriel: "Beat it by Michael Jackson. Just beat it/beat it ♪"


"Jordana, a love song."
Jordana: "Love story by Taylor Swift. It's a love story/baby just say yes ♪"
"Mary, a love song."
Mary: "This Love by Taylor Swift. This love is good/this love is bad/this love is alive back from the dead, oh, oh, oh ♪"
"Adriel, a love song."
Adriel: "I Will Always Love You by Dolly Parton. And I-i-e-i, will always love you--oo-hoo-oo ♪"


"Jordana, a song covered on Glee or Pitch Perfect."
Jordana: "Some Nights by Fun. Some nights I lie in bed cashing in my bad luck/some nights I call it a draw ♪"
"Mary, a song covered on Glee or Pitch Perfect."
Mary: "Hmm....I have to go with Don't Stop Believin' by Journey. Don't stop believin'/hold on to that feeling ♪"
"Adriel, a song covered on Glee or Pitch Perfect."
Adriel: "Cheap Thrills by Sia. I love cheap thrills! ♪"

*
*
*


Raymundo: "You're too far."


Sheila and Sienna are still lacking in chemistry.


*
*
*


Lee: "Eat sock!"


Raymundo: "Eat my sock!"

*
*
*


"Jordana, a song containing the word 'tonight'."
Jordana: "We Are Young by Fun. Tonight/we are young ♪"


"Mary, a song containing the word 'tonight'."
Mary: "Hmm..."
"5...4...3...2...1. Time's up."


"Jordana, a song by a male singer."
Jordana: "Bad Day by Daniel Powter. Beause you had a bad day, you're taking one down/you sing a sad song just to turn it around ♪"


"Mary, a song by a male singer. 5...4...3..."
Mary: "Monsters by James Blunt. I'm not your son, you're not my father/we're just two grown men saying goodbye ♪"


"Adriel, a song by a male singer."
Adriel: "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2. I have climbed highest mountains/I have run through the fields/only to be with you/only to be with you ♪"


*
*
*



Seamus: "The docile animals should stay far from the vicious ones."


Rudy: "The Chinese love dragons. This must be the first."

*
*
*


"Adriel, a song entitled 'Try'."
Adriel: "Fuck this is hard. I only know Try by Colbie Caillat and Pink. They must've sung that too."
"5...4...3...2..."
Adriel: "I'm going to let this one pass."

*
*
*


Seamus: "This poor pig has turned into bacon and this chicken has turned into a duck."


Rudy: "Which would come first: horses or cows? I think horses are cooler."

*
*
*


"Jordana, a song about superheroes."
Jordana: "Superman by Daughtry. She's dancing with strangers, falling apart/waiting for Superman to pick her up ♪"


"Mary, a song about superheroes."
Mary: "Are there any songs about other heroes? Like Wonder Woman?"
"5...4..."
Mary: "I'm only one call away/I'll be there to save the day/Superman got nothin' on me ♪. One Call Away by Charlie Puth."


"Adriel, a song about superheroes."
Adriel: "Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down. If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman ♪"


"Jordana, a Taylor Swift song."
Jordana: "Cardigan by Taylor Swift. Vintage tee, brand new phones/high heels on cobblestones ♪ Who doesn't know Taylor Swift?"
"Mary, a Taylor Swift song. 5...4...3..."
Mary: "Oh, Superman by Taylor Swift. Tall, dark and Superman ♪"
"Adriel, a Taylor Swift song. 5...4...3...2..."
Adriel: "I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift. I knew you were trouble when you walked in ♪"

*
*
*


Raymundo: "I have defeated you 2-1. Accept defeat."
Lee: "I can't believe I lost to a foreigner."
Raymundo: "I didn't coach a world champion for nothing. Now give me a song that they already sang."

*
*
*


The contestants hear something special in their ears, courtesy of Raymundo.
Raymundo: "Bad Day has been sung before."


"Jordana, songs with the word 'tonight' in the lyrics."
Jordana: "Again? Hmm..."
"5...4..."
Jordana: "In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins. And I can feel it coming in the air tonight ♪"


"Mary, a song with the word 'tonight' in the lyrics."
Mary: "...Rewrite the Stars from The Greatest Showman. Why don't we rewrite the stars/maybe the world could be ours tonight ♪"


"Adriel, a song with the word 'tonight' in the lyrics. 5...4...3...2...1..."
Adriel: "Vanessa Carlton! A Thousand Miles. If I could fall into the sky/do you think time would pass me by/'cause you know I'd walk a thousand miles/if I could just see you/tonight ♪ Phew."


*
*
*


Are they finally going to succeed?


Sheila: "Oh my goodness, finally one match."
Sienna: "Now two more."


Sienna: "A second match!"


Sheila: "Shit, we messed up."

*
*
*


"Jordana, a favourite song from another contestant."
Jordana: "Oh I don't know. Hehe."
"5...4...3...2...1..."


"Jordana, a love song."
Jordana: "Only Love by Ben Howard. Darling, you're with me, always around me/only love, only love ♪"
"Mary, a love song."
Mary: "My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion. Near, far, wherever you are/I know that the heart must go on ♪"
"Adriel, a love song."
Adriel: "I Know What You Did Last Summer by Shawn Mendes. I know what you did last summer/look me in the eyes, my lover ♪"

*
*
*


Rudy: "We done?"
Seamus: "Yep. Let's lock it in. Dragon, tiger, snake, monkey, horse, cow, sheep, rabbit, dog, mouse, pig. chicken."
"That is incorrect."
Rudy: "Damn."

*
*
*


Sienna: "We have no chemistry."
Sheila: "We will succeed. We must!"

*
*
*


"Jordana, a one-hit wonder song."
Jordana: "Oh! Take on Me by A-ha! Take on me ♪"


"Mary, a one-hit wonder song."
Mary: "Gangnam Style. Oppa Gangnam style ♪"


"Adriel, a one-hit wonder song."
Adriel: "What song would they not think of?"
"5...4...3...2..."
Adriel: "Fuck it. Shut Up and Dance With Me by Walk the Moon. Oh don't you dare look back/just keep your eyes on me/I said you're holding back/she said shut up and dance with me ♪"

*
*
*



Sheila: "Come on..."


Sheila: "How are we still not getting it?"

*
*
*


"Jordana, a song from a movie."
Jordana: "All of the Stars by Ed Sheeran from The Fault In Our Stars. It's just another night and I'm staring at the moon/I saw a shooting star and thought of you/I sang a lullaby by the waterside and knew/if you were here, I'd sing to you ♪"


"Mary, a song from a movie."
Mary: "I'll Never Love Again by Lady Gaga. It's from A Star is Born. Don't wanna feel another touch/don't wanna start another fire/don't wanna know another kiss ♪"


"Adriel, a song from a movie."
Adriel: "I'm blanking."
"5...4...3..."
Adriel: "The Titanic one. My Heart Will Go On. Every night in my dreams/I see you, I feel you ♪"
"That song has been sung."
Adriel: "Fuck!"


"The mission has ended, contestants. No points have been earned."


A whole day of effort resulted in nothing. Is the Mole at fault?

*******************

Play along here:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment! It may take some time for us to see and respond to the message. Do check back regularly because we try to respond to each and every comment!

We highly encourage you to sign in when commenting as well!