Wednesday 1 November 2017

35.17-Don't quote me


Last episode,


Douglas: "I hope you don't feel insulted or anything but I am honestly quite surprised you're still here."



Douglas: "No. I am surprised myself. I don't think I would have made it so far if not for this."
Hykel: "There is a saying that fortune favours fools. I mean the stupid. No wait, I mean the less smart. It's not like past seasons didn't have such finalists."

***


Ryenn: "Douglas, I'm going to help you come out of your shell."
Douglas: "I don't like the sound of that."

***


Douglas: "You must be making fun of me secretly when I'm not around...I need to show you a lesson."


Ryenn: "AAH! Get off me!"


Ryenn: "Take that!"
Douglas: "Ow!"


Douglas: "Oh my...I can't believe I just did that. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me."



Ryenn: "No. Get away from me. I don't want you touching me or even near me ever again."


Douglas: "What have I done?"


Douglas: "I'm becoming like him."

***


Douglas: "I'm becoming my own worst nightmare."

***


Ryenn: "Looks like quoting Hykel didn't help. I had fun. It was a fascinating experience. I travelled so many places by foot and walked a great distance and saw a great deal. It's all so humbling and refreshing for me. I will have a lot to reflect on. I can only hope that all of you are able to do your own reflections and be liberated from whatever is holding you down, and to find the Mole and win. Good luck and goodbye."


***


Douglas: "I can't believe she's gone...and the last thing I did to her...she was so sweet and mature and was always up for a challenge to do something new and different.."

Although the season has long passed the halfway mark, the pot is still stuck at 450/1000 points. Douglas's exemption allowed him to smoothly sail to the final four but at the cost of Ryenn. With only one woman left, will Monique face the same fate as the previous female contestants this season? Or will she survive and win? Or perhaps she's the Mole?

***


Douglas: "I have to work very hard now."


Hykel: "I'm in the final four so I should be right, but there's always that fear that I'm not."


Hykel: "Ever since Ryenn's execution, Douglas has been isolating himself even more. He says he's scared of hurting us but that's kind of laughable, don't you think?"

***


Morris: "Hello Monique."
Monique: "Hello."


Morris: "..."
Monique: "..."


Monique: "I never knew how hard it is to remain professional until now. Sure, I've dealt with sleazebags before but I could handle them. It's just different when it's someone you've known for so long and are close to. It's impossible to ignore the fact that he likes me so it's become impossible to remain professional."


Douglas: "I hope I'm not being filmed showering...that's why I play it safe and wear clothes."

***


Douglas: "I...I really don't think you should come near me."
Monique: "Why not?"
Douglas: "I attacked Ryenn. I don't know what else could happen."
"Everybody gather by the TV."


"Good morning. It is time for another mission. There are five whiteboards here, each with a question in  a different language. Each of you have been given one answer in another language which you were allowed to share with the others. You will now be given your last answer: Dhaka."
Douglas: "What language is that?"
Morris: "If I'm not mistaken, it's English. It's a capital."
"For every question and answer you match correctly, 50 points will be earned. This is worth 250 points in total. Good luck."

***


Morris: "I don't know how to pronounce this but it's clearly Russian."
Monique: "I'll write it down, and then we can compare with the answers we have."


Douglas: "I want to help but this is beyond me. I don't understand any of this at all."
Monique: "Nobody does. It's essentially a guessing game."


Monique: "Everyone shared the answers they got but Morris was quite reluctant to. And this mission to me felt lacking. We can't have just been thrown a jumble of foreign words and be able to figure things out by ourselves."


Morris: "Koo-inks monta lin jan to Maria on sulkapaloysia? I think that's how it's pronounced."


Hykel: "Votre tante? I don't think my answer fits, does it?"
Douglas: "I don't think they're the same language."
Monique: "I don't think any of them are the same language. That will be too easy."


Douglas: "I've made some notes myself. My answer is some weird symbol but it looks too short for a long question like this."


Morris: "I think this could be yours, Douglas."


Morris: "It's such a long winded question to distract us from the fact that the answer is short, maybe only one word."


Morris: "Actually, no! This would make it too easy like Monique said. I think the answer is votre tante. Which is mine."


Morris: "Any objections to that?"
Monique: "We have no basis of objection."

***


Douglas: "What is this? Is the answer I was given for this?"


Morris: "This, Douglas, is Japanese. And I think you may be on to something."


Monique: "I don't think the answer will be in another language of symbols."


Hykel: "I'm tempted to say that answer is Dhaka."
Monique: "I'm not sure about that."


Monique: "Duodeno, jejunum, ileo is mine and if I am not mistaken this refers to the parts of the small intestine based on how it sounds. I think it's Italian."


Monique: "Japanese tends to be very verbose."
Hykel: "So the answer could be that weird thing."


Morris: "I don't understand a single word here but I agree with all of you."


Morris: "Looks like we have a majority. สิบ it is."

***

Hykel: "I actually understand this. It's in Malay. It's asking about an award from the Oscars, 2017. About which film won 'Best Foreign Film Award'."


Morris: "It can't be the one in a clearly foreign slash alien language...or can it? The reverse reverse psychology is killing me."

Hykel: "I don't think so. We should look at our remaining answers. We must know it's not Dhaka because that is a capital according to Morris."


Morris: "Don't quote me. I could be wrong. It could mean something else in another language."
Monique: "What's with you today, Morris. You're acting strange."
Morris: "What do you mean? I've always been like this. I think you're the one who's acting all unusual." 


Monique: "Focusing on the mission again, we know it's not my answer so that just leaves one. What was it again?"


Douglas: "I'll check. We are left with 'la vendisto'."


Morris: "That doesn't sound like the name of a film but that's the only answer left that makes sense so we'll go with it."

***


Morris: "I think this is Dutch."
Monique: "It surely is."
Douglas: "We have two answers left. I'm not sure which one it is so I'll leave the choice to the rest of you."


Morris: "What zijen de dree delen van de dunne dam?"


Monique: "I don't think that's how you pronounce the word. I think it's pronounced 'zin'."
Douglas: "Oh. I would have pronounced it like how he did."


Morris: "My pronunciation skills isn't relevant. I think the first three words means 'What is the', as in 'What is the capital of this country'."


Monique: "I'm noting that down. It is a possibility."
Hykel: "What does this mean again?"
Monique: "Duodenum, jejunum and ileum. It's high school biology. Thankfully I still remember a little."


Hykel: "I think Dhaka is in Bangladesh. Which word means Bangladesh?"
Monique: "I postulate that Dutch won't translate names of places. If they would there would probably be a capital letter somewhere in the middle. So that just leaves my answer: duodeno, jejunum, ileo,"

***


Hykel: "Looking at Monique's notes and assuming we are correct we should be sure that the last answer is Dhaka."
Douglas: "I'm not confident. I think it's wise to look at all the questions."


Monique: "This is Russian."


Monique: "Or is it Greek?"


Monique: "No, Greek looks different. Maybe it's Croatian."


Douglas: "I don't understand what it's saying."


Monique: "Hmm..."


Monique: "Ah! It must be Russian."
Morris: "Like the language was ever important."


Douglas: "So this is Russian. I can't believe I'm learning new languages."


Monique: "This symbol is Russian."


Douglas: "But what does it mean?"
Morris: "I don't know but we only have one answer to go by anyway."
Hykel: "I agree. The answer to this must be Dhaka."

***

It's time to check the answers.


Question:  Какова столица Бангладеш? (Kakova stolitsa Bangladesh?)
Translation: What is the capital of Bangladesh?
Answer: Dhaka
Translation: Dhaka
aa

Question: Wat zijn de drie delen van de dunne darm?
Translation: What are the three parts of the small intestine?
Answer: Duodeno, jejunum, ileo
Translation: Duodenum, jejunum, ileum


Question: Filem mana yang memenangi anugerah "Filem Bahasa Asing Terbaik" pada tahun 2017 Oscars?
Translation: Which film won the "Best Foreign Film" award in the 2017 Oscars?
Answer: La Vendisto
Translation: The Salesman


Question: Kuinka monta linjan tuomaria on sulkapalloissa?
Translation: How many line judges are there in badminton?
Answer: สิบ (S̄ib)
Translation: Ten


Question: あなたの父の妹は何と呼ばれていますか? (Anata no chichi no imōto wa nanto yoba rete imasu ka?)
Translation: What is your father's sister called?
Answer: Votre tante
Translation: Your aunt

That means that 150/250 points have been earned, 600/1250 points have been earned for the pot.


***

Next episode,


Monique: "Morris, there is something urgent I need to talk to you about."


Morris: "What is it?"
Monique: "The business is facing a crisis. They need us back."

***


Hykel: "This is it. This quiz could make or break just as much as the final quiz would. Oh boy. Hoo."

***


Douglas: "I'm scared."


Douglas: "Should I quit? I can't win no matter what anyway and I'm worried that the longer I stay, the more I turn into him."


"Welcome to your final execution ceremony. It is commendable that the four of you have made it so far, but one of you will miss out on that final stretch. Who will it be?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment! It may take some time for us to see and respond to the message. Do check back regularly because we try to respond to each and every comment!

We highly encourage you to sign in when commenting as well!