Thursday 5 November 2015

23.07-Try not to die




Welcome back to the Smole! The last time on the Smole, contestants earned 200/500 points after guessing the odd one out correctly in 5 out of 9 rooms. Xavier wasn’t pleased that he was the next to be executed in the execution ceremony. With only 4 left, who will proceed to the finale?




Ruby: “I picked the same Mole for three times in a row now. I survived the double execution and last execution, so my Mole must be correct. It’s something I picked up from Ingrid, I guess. Now I just need to stop that Mole from sabotaging. Maybe I can counsel…”


Judith: “Oh, Ellen, I miss you so much. This game is so difficult, especially when I have to look flawless.”


Ruby: “Ulysses! There you are. Since we are the only two that made it to the finale in the past, why not we form a coalition?”
Ulysses: “Isn’t it a little late?”
Ruby: “I know, but together, we can stop the Mole and earn all the points possible so that we still have a chance of winning.”
Ulysses: “Well, okay. You were good at finding me last time anyway.”
Ruby: “No, that was Ingrid’s work.”


 
Judith: “What’s up with Ulysses’s fashion sense? I think I can dress better.”

***

 

“It is time for your next mission. As some of you may know, we will be returning to the house you furnished in the first mission. Now, there are mines on the front lawn. Each of you will stand on one of the left edge tiles. By moving one tile at a time in the four compass directions, you have to find a way to the other side without landing on a mine. When you step on a tile, it will change colour. Green means there are no mines within the immediate adjacency, including diagonals. If it is yellow, there is at least one mine near you, in one of the surrounding 8 tiles. If it is red, you landed on a mine. If there is only one contestant who makes it to the end safely, that player earns an exemption. For every player that makes it across safely, 30 points are earned. This is worth 120 points. Good luck.”


 

Contestants have chosen their starting positions.


Ronald: “We need a strategy here.”
Ruby: “The last time we did this I got caught. But I think the strategy of having one to test the area works well.”


Judith: “Yes, we should have a test dummy. I really don’t want to blow up. I’m going to be married soon and these clothes are expensive.”


Ruby: “I’ll go.”


Ruby: “It’s green. Excellent!”
Ronald: “Um…okay.”
Ruby: “I think you can step in front since you will not die yet.”


 
Ulysses: “There are mozzies here. Should have worn long pants. I better get moving.”


 
Ulysses: “Oh dear.”
Ruby: “Be careful, Ulysses.”


Judith: “Go! I’m rooting for you all!”


Ruby: “I’m going to take a gamble and just walk in front.”
Ronald: “I’m holding my breath.”
Ulysses: “Your side must be safe.”
Ruby: “Another yellow. I think I’ll continue moving forward.”


Ruby: “Oh no. Not again.”


 
Ronald: “Great.”


Ruby: “Ouch!”


Ronald: “Is this supposed to happen?”
Ulysses: “Calm down.”
Ronald: “She’s on freaking fire!”


Ruby: “Oh, I blew up!”
Ulysses: “Don’t move, or you may accidentally step on another mine.”


“Ruby, you have been eliminated!”
Ruby: “Well, good luck to the rest of you. Try not to die like I did.”


Judith: “I think I should start taking a step.”
Ronald: “Don’t move, Judith! I don’t want you to blow up too!”


Judith: “We need to take calculated risks.”

Judith: “I’ll move forward. I can handle myself.”


Judith: “See? My instincts are good.”


Ronald: “All right, which move next?”


Ulysses: “This spot should be fine…yes, I am right.”


Ulysses: “Stay put, Judith. I’ll go towards you and we can work out where the mine is.”


Ronald: “I’ll move here…still in the game. Better keep my eye on them. Can’t trust them.”


 
Ulysses: “Okay, the mine is definitely really close.”


Ronald: “Or mines. Be cautious.”


Ulysses: “I think you can take a step in front. It was yellow since you stepped foot onto the playing field.”


Ulysses: “I’m good.”


Ronald: “I suspect the mine is right in front of me.”


Ronald: “I’ll go the other way. My goodness. I’m surrounded by mines.”


Judith: “I think I’ll go this way. This way should be safe.”
Ulysses: “No! Ugh, too late.”


Judith: “Relax.”


Ronald: “It’s green.”
Ulysses: “You know, I really hope that you guys don’t step on a mine. Because last time as the Mole, I stepped on a mine. Apparently that alerted everyone that the Mole would be the one to step on a mine, at around this time.”


Ulysses: “That was bait. My thought process last season was trying to look like I was earning points, so even though it was tempting, I told myself not to land on a mine. If the others don’t land on a mine, then they are probably the Mole.”


Judith: “What? That’s quite stupid. It’s not like we can help it. Sometimes we’re fooled and not that smart.”
Ronald: “Prove to me that this model has brains, Portia.”

Judith: “This isn’t about brains. This is about luck.”


Ulysses: “I’m moving up since I know I’ll be safe.”
Ronald: “Do you still remember all the yellow areas?”
Ulysses: “Uh…”


Ulysses: “I say we just keep moving. We’re too far from them anyway.”
Ronald: “Portia is lagging behind. I must watch out for her.”


Ronald: “Oh boy. The safety was short-lived. I think there’s a mine to my right.”
Ulysses: “Hmm…I think there’s one in front of me.”
Ronald: “That makes sense too. Both our tiles will be yellow. The Mole could be devious and plant the mines and mislead us into thinking there’s only one mine when there are more.”


Ulysses: “I’ll move to this side. Wish me luck. I don’t want to ruin my clothes.”


Ulysses: “Okay. That confirms that the mine is over there.”

Ulysses: “I’m so close to victory!”
Ronald: “Don’t be complacent.”

Judith: “Gee, good job.”

Ulysses: “Not my fabulous clothes!”


“Ulysses, you are eliminated!”
Ulysses: “Great. Singed is not a good look for me. Fortunately I brought spare clothes but my makeup needs touching up.”
Judith: “You’re even more of a girl than I am.”


Ronald: “I told him to be careful.”


Judith: “There are only two of us left. Hey, didn’t he say something about the Mole stepping on a mine?”
Ronald: “Oh, the irony.”


Judith: “Well, we’ve got to continue.”


Ronald: “I’ve made it.”


Ronald: “I’ll be watching you, Portia. Make sure you don’t try anything funny.”
Judith: “Like I would.”
Ronald: “The mine I believe is somewhere behind you, so I think it’s safe for you to move forward.”
Judith: “I’ll hold you to that.”
Ronald: “Don’t quote me, please.”


Judith: “Oh, it’s green! Not bad, Ronald.”

Ronald: “Just keep moving to the end! You’ve found a clear path!”


“Congratulations. 60/120 points have been earned. The pot now has 260/620 points. For being the first to make it to the end safely, Ronald, you earn a hidden exemption.”
Ronald: “Woo!”


Here is the board. The green tiles are where the mines were planted. The red tiles are the mines that have been triggered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for leaving a comment! It may take some time for us to see and respond to the message. Do check back regularly because we try to respond to each and every comment!

We highly encourage you to sign in when commenting as well!